Do chead a thógáil

You’ve passed your theory test, now what?

Picking up your learner permit

Having passed your theory test, you will be given a driver theory test certificate before you leave the test centre. To get your learner permit, you should apply to your local licensing authority (normally the motor taxation office), submitting the test certificate along with the other documentation you will need.

Note: your pass certificate is only valid for two years from the date of your test. If you have not submitted an application to a licensing authority within two years for a first learner permit you will have to sit and pay for the test again.

Lost certificates

If you lose your pass certificate, you can request a duplicate by writing a letter including your name, address, PPS number and date of birth with a cheque or postal order for €15, payable to ‘Prometric Ireland Limited’, to the following address:

Driver Theory Test
Customer Service
PO Box 788

Adding categories

There are four different driver theory tests, relating to:

  • Motorcycles and mopeds (category AM)
  • Cars, work vehicles and land tractors (category BW)
  • Heavy goods vehicles (category C)
  • Buses (category D)

If you want to add a new category to your learner permit you will need to sit an additional theory test for that category. Having passed it, you will need to submit the pass certificate to your motor taxation office so that your learner permit can be updated with the new information.