Key steps to maintaining your vehicles
If you follow these few simple steps, your goods vehicle, trailer and bus will always be reliable and roadworthy:
- Give someone in your organisation overall responsibility for
making sure your vehicles are roadworthy
- Make sure your drivers always carry out daily walk-around
- Fix defects in your yard before vehicles go on the road
- Put in place an effective maintenance programme
- Monitor all vehicle maintenance, defects and repairs
- Make sure you have the facilities and expertise to maintain and
repair your vehicles
- Make sure all staff involved with the roadworthiness of vehicles
are trained in their duties and know their responsibilities
If you are an operator you must know your legal obiligations and fulfil them. This includes making sure your vehicles and trailers are always roadworthy and safe.
Please read the Road Safety Authority's guide to keeping your commercial vehicle roadworthy.