Driving Test Update

Please note that our customer service agents cannot manage driving tests over the phone, so we kindly ask you not to call for this information. Driving tests should be managed directly through


When will I get a driving test?

We’ve launched a new online tool that estimates when you will be invited to book your car driving test. You must already be on the waiting list and eligible to sit a test. Know more >


Need to add yourself to the driving test waiting list?

Please sign up or log into our new customer portal to apply for a driving test and add yourself to the waiting list. This video will show you how


Covid-19 safety measures

We have put in place Covid-19 safety measures for the driving test which must be followed or your appointment will not go ahead. Know more>


Road haulage enforcement

For important information on temporary relaxation of EU driving and resting time rules to assist HGV drivers facing Brexit delays at Dublin and Rosslare ports click here.

Who enforces road transport and road traffic legislation ?  What are the sanctions for drivers who break the law ?

Note. Publication of Convictions: In circumstances where a person or operator is convicted of a road transport related offence, details of the conviction (including name and penalty applied) will be published on the RSA website at  

If you are an operator and you carry goods for hire and reward then you need an operators licence 

If you decide to operate as a haulier of goods for hire and reward on a public road without an operator’s licence, you are breaking the law. You may be prosecuted and fined under the Road Transport Acts – the maximum fine is €500,000. Any trader or business owner hiring an unlicensed haulier is also at risk of a fine.

The RSA and An Garda Síochána enforce the licensing provisions of the Road Transport Acts. As well as a fine, if you are an unlicensed haulier you can expect the RSA to look closely at your compliance with other laws, such as those covering:


Certain types of activity are exempt from the licensing requirement.The following types of carriage do not require you to hold an operators licence in Ireland.

1. Carriage of: 

  • Cattle, sheep, pigs, livestock or turf;
  • Milk or milk containers to or from a creamery or cream-separating station;
  • Newly harvested wheat, oats and barley from 1 August to 30 November each year from a farm to a place of storage, assembly or processing;
  • Luggage in trailers coupled to passenger - carrying vehicles, to or from airports.
  • Mails;
  • Vehicles which have suffered damage or breakdown;
  • Refuse and sewage;
  • Animal carcases for disposal;
  • Bees or fish fry;
  • Articles required for medical care in emergency relief and in particular for relief in natural disasters;
  • Spare parts for sea-going vessels and aircraft;
  • Objects and works of art for exhibition or for commercial purposes;
  • Material, properties and animals to or from theatrical, musical or film preformances or sporting events, circuses, exhibitions or fairs, or to or from the making of radio or television broadcasts or films;
  • Goods which by reason of their value are carried in specially constructed vehicles which are accompanied by police or other security guards;
  • Goods which are your own property.

2. Occassional carriage of:

  • Goods to or from airports in the event of air services being diverted;
  • objects and materials exclusively for publicity or information purposes.

3. Funeral Transport.

4. Transit, in an unladen state, of a vehicle used for goods transport and intended to replace a vehicle which has become unserviceable in a Member State other than that in which it is registered, and the continuation, by the breakdown vehicle, of the transport under cover of an authorisation issued for the vehicles which has become unserviceable.  

In addition, an operator’s licence is unnecessary if your vehicle (or combination of the vehicles to be used) has a maximum authorised weight of less than 3.5 metric tonnes, including the vehicle, fully laden, and any trailer or semi-trailer.

Where to get an operator’s licence

Road haulage operator licences are available from:

Road Transport Operator Licensing Unit
Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport
Clonfert House
Co Galway

Lo-call: 1890 443 311

Make a Complaint relating to Vehicle Roadworthiness, Drivers Hours, Tachographs and/or Unlicensed Haulage

If you have any concerns that an operator or driver may be acting illegally as regards Vehicle Roadworthiness,Driver Hours, Tachograph and/or Operator Licensing requirements you can report your concerns in confidence to the RSA in any of the following ways

  • In Person – Call into our office, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway.  Where you can speak to one of our staff in the strictest confidence
  • In Writing – Post your complaint to Enforcement Section, Road Safety Authority, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway
  • By email – Complete a complaint form (DOC)​ and submit to [email protected]
  • By phone – You can speak to one of our staff on 091 872600 (enforcement section) or call our lo-call confidential hotline on 1890 253 163.
  • Online - make a complaint online​​ via our website.​