Driving Test Update

Please note that our customer service agents cannot manage driving tests over the phone, so we kindly ask you not to call for this information. Driving tests should be managed directly through


When will I get a driving test?

In line with the easing of restrictions, we are offering driving test invitations to those who are eligible to take their test and have been waiting the longest. Know more >


Need to add yourself to the driving test waiting list?

Please sign up or log into our new customer portal to apply for a driving test and add yourself to the waiting list. This video will show you how


Essential Driver Training (EDT) update

Approved Driving Instructors (ADI’s) can now offer EDT to all customers so learner drivers no longer need to complete an essential worker declaration form. Know more >



Covid-19 safety measures

We have put in place Covid-19 safety measures for the driving test which must be followed or your appointment will not go ahead. Know more>


2014 News

A resource for journalists providing up-to-date press releases, images and contact details for our press room.

16 January 2014

Irish citizens abroad who wish to apply for Driving Licenses

Licensing laws across the EU require that, to be entitled to a licence, you must be ‘normally resident’ in the country granting the licence. This rule has not changed in recent times. Applying that rule on the ground, the term ‘normally resident’ is generally considered as the place where a person usually lives, for at least 185 days in each calendar year, because of personal and work ties, or, in the case of a person with no work ties, because of personal ties which show close links between that person and the place where he or she is living. 

Where a person is working abroad on a fixed term contract or attending a college or university generally they can be thought of as resident in Ireland providing they have and can demonstrate their personal ties here.

If a person is currently abroad s/he must show that the conditions above are met and provide the necessary evidence showing;

  •  If working: A letter from an employer stating that s/he is working on a fixed term contract / placement
  • If studying: Correspondence from the College/ University confirming the title and duration of the course s/he is studying
  • Evidence of being ‘normally resident’ in Ireland: this could be by way of the person’s address on a recent utility bill, a statement from a financial institution, correspondence from a State Department or Agency.

If entitlement is established, the driving licence will be posted to the person’s Irish address. A special application form must be completed which is available on request from the Road Safety Authority, Primrose Hill, Dublin Road, Ballina, Co. Mayo – telephone +353 (0) 96 78288. An email request for an application form can be made to [email protected] giving the Irish postal address to which the application form will be posted. A copy of your passport and two passport photographs will need to accompany an application.

If an Irish licence expires while a driver is resident abroad the entitlement to a licence remains in place for 10 years from the date of expiry. This means that the licence can be renewed within that period without undergoing theory test or driving test requirements. In the case of a learner permit the entitlement remains for a period of five years.



Press contact

Media & Communications
Moy Valley Business Park
Primrose Hill
Co. Mayo
F26 V6E4

  • 096 25008