Skip to Content
Road Users

Buying an imported vehicle

Things to be aware of when buying an imported vehicle.

This content is for general information only. It does not, and is not intended to, provide legal or technical advice or to represent a legal interpretation of the matters it addresses.

Frequently asked questions

When importing a vehicle an appointment should be made with Revenue to have the vehicle inspected within seven days of it entering the state in order to register it and pay VRT. The registration process must be completed within 30 days of entry into the state. For further information on importation, VRT and registration contact Revenue.

Yes. However, once the vehicle is registered a valid roadworthiness test must be carried out.

Yes. Since 20 May 2018 you can now exchange a valid roadworthiness certificate from any EU member state. However, please note, as a result of Brexit, the mutual recognition of UK-issued certificates of roadworthiness is no longer accepted. 

For further information on mutual recognition of roadworthiness certs for cars visit NCT and for commercial vehicles visit CVRT.

Contact your insurance provider for details relating to your insurance policy.

Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) tax falls under the remit of Revenue and was added to the VRT calculation on 1 January 2020. The calculation of the NOx charge is outlined on their website.

Related pages


FAQs on passenger cars, e-Call, safety features, buying used and imported cars, electric cars, clocked cars.