Complaints about commercial vehicle safety
How to make a complaint about a commercial vehicle safety issue.
If you believe that there has been a breach of the laws regarding:
- commercial vehicle roadworthiness
- drivers hours
- unlicensed haulage
you can make a complaint in a number of ways.
Speak to one of our staff on 091 872600 (enforcement section) or lo-call our confidential hotline on 1890 253 163.
Post your complaint to Road Safety Authority, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway.
Make a complaint by completing our online complaints form.
Please always include the following information:
- nature of the complaint
- vehicle registration numbers
- operator’s name and address
- time and place of the alleged breach
- as much specific detailed information as possible so we can carry out a comprehensive investigation
- your name and contact details so that we can follow up and request further information if necessary. Your details will not be disclosed.
You can be assured that all complaints will be treated seriously and in the strictest confidence
Publication of convictions
If a person or operator is convicted of a road transport related offence, details of the conviction (including name and penalty applied) will be published on the prosecutions section of our website.
How your complaint will be dealt with
Once we receive a complaint it will be logged and assigned to an enforcement officer who will fully investigate each complaint in an efficient and professional manner.
This may include:
- examining our databases to establish if the vehicle or person concerned is a licensed operator
- if applicable, notifying the operator about the legal requirement for a licence
- seeking tachograph/maintenance records, as appropriate for each vehicle owned by the operator
- supplying details of the complaint to An Garda Síochána
- conducting a premises inspection and examining whether or not a prosecution is warranted and preparation of the necessary evidence for court.
Specific outcomes from investigations are between the operator being investigated and us. These results are not shared with the complainant. However, details of any convictions secured by us are available in our prosecutions section.