Road Safety Alert – Orange and Yellow Weather Warnings27.10.2021
The Road Safety Authority (RSA), is asking road users to exercise caution while using the roads this evening and into tomorrow morning as Met Eireann have issued Orange and Yellow weather warnings for heavy rain.
There is an Orange rainfall warning for Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow from 5.30pm this evening until 6am Thursday morning where following recent heavy rain today, there will be additional significant accumulations of rainfall this evening (Wednesday) and overnight with flooding in places.
There are Yellow Rainfall warnings for Kildare, Laois, Tipperary, Cork, Carlow, Kilkenny and Kerry until tomorrow morning where heavy rainfall will lead to some river flooding and localised surface flooding.
Road users in areas affected by the Orange Warnings for heavy rain are advised to check local traffic and weather conditions before setting out on a journey.
The following advice is being given to road users on foot of the weather warnings. Motorists;
- Drivers need to slow down and leave a bigger space between themselves and the vehicle in front in wet weather conditions. This is especially important on high speed roads such as dual carriageways and motorways where there is increased danger of aquaplaning.
- If the road ahead is flooded choose another route, do not attempt to drive through it. Flooded roads that appear shallow could be deeper than you think. They may also have trees or branches that have fallen that may not be visible.
- Road users should always follow recommended routes and obey signs closing roads to traffic.
- After going through water, drive slowly with your foot on the brake pedal for a short distance - this helps to dry the brakes.
- Drive with dipped headlights at all times.
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
- Visibility and light is reduced in poor weather conditions. Keep safe by making sure you can be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
- Walk on the right-hand side of the road, facing traffic if there are no footpaths.
- Cyclist should ensure that they and their bike are visible to other road users by investing in a good set of front and rear lights (white at the front, red at the back) and by wearing clothes that help you be seen on your bike such as bright and light reflective items.
For more weather updates, visit Met Eireann’s website: www.met.ie