You must renew your ADI permit every two years. Once you've completed the steps below and all of your paperwork is in order, you can expect to receive your new permit within 20 working days of submitting your renewal application form. Please note that the process below applies to permit renewals only, not new ADI applications.
Steps to renew your ADI permit
The check test can be completed anytime in the year before your ADI permit expires.
We automatically schedule a check test appointment for you at your preferred test centre anytime during the year prior to your permit expiring. The details are emailed so please check your spam/junk folder.
If you haven't availed of the scheduled check test you also have the option to request another appointment when completing the renewal declaration form (see step 3 below).
Important: If you fail to attend your scheduled check test, we can’t guarantee another appointment before your permit expiry date so you risk being temporarily removed from the ADI register.
Garda vetting needs to be completed no less than 3 months before your permit expires.
To start the Garda vetting process, please download a Garda Vetting Invitation form and make sure you read the instructions carefully before completing it.
Post the completed form, along with a copy of your driving licence* to: The ADI Unit, The Road Safety Authority, Primrose Hill, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
*If your driving licence doesn’t have your current address, please also provide a copy of a utility bill dated within the previous two months.
Once we receive your completed form and validate your identity, we will email you a link to complete the Gardaí’s online vetting form. Don’t forget to check your Spam/Junk folder.
This needs to be done no less than 1 month before your permit expires but no more than 3 months before it expires.
To renew your ADI registration, please send us the following:
- A completed Renewal Declaration form. As part of this, you can confirm your preferred driving test centre for the check test (if you haven’t already done one) and/or whether you need any changes to your online ADI register details.
- Current tax clearance certificate – provide your individual tax clearance access number
- Renewal Fee of €250 - this can be paid by cheque, postal order or bank draft. It should be crossed and made payable to: The ADI Unit, Road Safety Authority.
- Two passport photographs signed by you on the back.
- A photocopy of your Driving Licence (front and back)
All of the above documentation should be posted to: The ADI Unit, The Road Safety Authority, Primrose Hill, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
The ADI portal
In the ADI portal you will be able to:
- upload session records
- view completed sessions
- manage logbooks
- order logbooks
The ADI portal integrates with the MyEDT portal so your learner drivers will be able to login and view their own training records. That's why it's important you upload any session as soon as possible after completion.
To avoid any misunderstanding, it is important to inform your student, in advance, whether the instruction will count towards completion of their Essential Driver Training programme.
You can reorder logbooks through your ADI portal account by clicking on the ‘Manage Logbooks’ tab. Here you will see:
- your current logbook stock levels,
- what’s on order, and
- the number you can order (only available if your active* stock is below 25).
|Max. active* stock allowance||75|
* Includes stock received, on order, or logbooks transferred to you. Logbooks you’ve transferred to another ADI or learner driver are not counted as part of your active stock.
Once you’ve successfully submitted your logbook order you will receive it by courier within 5 working days.
Important: there may be delays with issuing logbooks before or during holiday periods so please ensure that you have adequate stock levels.
If you’re having problems uploading a candidate’s EDT sessions to the ADI portal, please check the following:
- You’re entering the 9 digit driver number correctly
- You’re entering their date of birth correctly in the following format: dd/mm/yyyy
- You’re entering the correct logbook number
- You’re entering the correct lesson type
- You’re entering the correct completion date
- There are no spaces before or after any of the details you enter
You should also refer to the EDT portal manual.
When to contact us
If you’ve checked all of the above and you’re still having trouble uploading a session please complete this form and include all of the details i.e. driver number, logbook number etc.
If you need to edit or delete a record you’ve already confirmed and submitted, please complete this form as soon as possible with the details, including the driver number and session name, and we will remove it.
If you get the following message: “More than one licence category returned for licence id” please complete this form and include the learner's driver number.
Your motorcycle learner drivers will not be allowed to sit their driving test unless they have completed the required number of Initial Basic Training (IBT) modules. You therefore must submit a Weekly returns form to the RSA, listing all completed courses by learner for our centralised records. An online submission system is currently not available for IBT.IBT Information Booklet pdf | 376 KB
Do you need to cancel your ADI Test?
Please complete the test cancellation request form.
You can now easily manage all your driver services, tests, permits and licences online on MyRoadSafety.