Apply for your first learner permit
What you need to know about your first learner permit and how to apply
Before you can apply for your learner permit you must pass a driver theory test.
You need to apply for your learner permit within two years of passing your theory test or you will have to repeat it and pay another fee.
Your learner permit allows you to drive on all public roads, except motorways and you must display L plates. It is against the law for you to drive unaccompanied and penalty points apply. Know more >
How to apply for your first learner permit
You can now quickly and easily apply for your learner permit online. No need to complete paper forms, make appointments or visit an NDLS centre in person.
Important: you must have passed a driver theory test before you can apply for a learner permit.
To apply for a first-time learner permit online you will need the following:
- a Public Services Card (PSC) and verified MyGovID
- to have successfully passed the driver theory test in the category
- proof of your address dated within the last six months (if your current address differs from the one you provided when you applied for your PSC)
- proof that you are normally resident in Ireland (if your place of birth and nationality are outside the EU/EEA)
- your completed and signed eyesight report form or medical report form dated within one month, if applicable to you
- your application fee of €35.00. You can pay by credit/debit card. If you are 70 years and over you are exempt from paying the fee.
To apply for a first-time learner permit in person at any NDLS centre you will need the following:
- To have successfully passed the driver theory test in the vehicle category
- A completed eyesight report form dated within one month
- Proof of your personal public services number (PPSN).
- Proof of your address dated within the last six months.
- Your photo ID requirements
- Proof that you are normally resident in Ireland (if your place of birth and nationality are outside the EU/EEA).
- A completed medical report form dated within one month, if required in your case.
- Your application fee of €35.00. You can only pay by credit/debit card, Google Pay/Apple Pay or Payzone voucher. If you are aged 70 years or over you are exempt from paying the fee.
You will also need to book an appointment to attend one of our 34 National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) centres nationwide
Driving test eligibility
A reduced EDT programme is available for drivers who currently hold a full car licence (category B) from a country that does not have a licence exchange agreement with Ireland.