Company tachograph cards
What a company tachograph card is and how to apply.
If you own or operate a bus passenger or truck haulage company, you are required by law to have a company tachograph card to comply with legal requirements for data storage.
A company card allows you to access the data stored in the tachograph. You will also need it to protect your data in the vehcile unit (VU) if you hire in or sell a vehicle.
The company card enables you to download data in order to comply with legal requirements for data storage.
A company card does not store any data as such - its function is simply to ensure that the digital tachograph vehicle unit recognises the operator before allowing data to be downloaded.
To download data from the vehicle unit (VU) you will need a download device ( a memory stick which you can insert into the VU) and a company card ( this is to unlock the data).
A company card cannot be used for driving
The company card should be used to lock-in data before you start using the vehicle in order to protect data that will be subsequently recorded on your vehicles tachograph.
It is not possible to protect data retrospectively and any unprotected data will be open to all to download.
Using a company card correctly will prevent unauthorised access to data and ensure that you comply with Data Protection law. It will also ensure that competitors do not get access to your data on the tachograph.
How to apply for a company tachograph card
To apply for a company card, you must be the owner, operator or holder of commercial vehicles fitted with tachograph recording equipment.
Your application for a company tachograph card can take up to three weeks to process and complete.Apply now
You can apply online for a first-time company tachograph card, for additional card(s), and to renew or replace an existing card.
The benefits of applying online include:
- it's cheaper and you can pay quickly and easily
- your application gets processing priority
- you can track your application at any time.
- your Companies Registration Office (CRO) number or Personal Public Service number
- your email address
- your credit or debit card details for the fee of €45.00
- your current company tachograph card or account number. This is the 16-character entry listed at section 5b on your company tachograph card.
- Download and complete the application form in full: Digital Tachograph Company Card Application form (Eng)
- Ensure all details are completed in block capitals and in black ink. Incomplete or invalid applications will be returned.
- Include your debit or credit card details (we don’t accept payment by cash, postal order, cheque or bank draft) for the fee of €60.00
- Send your completed application form to:
Road Safety Authority
Co.Galway H62 ET93