Exemptions to tachograph use
The law exempts certain commercial vehicles from using tachographs.
In a limited number of cases the installation and use of a tachograph is not required. These are usually lighter working vehicles such as vans, private not-for-hire minibuses, and vehicles that work in specialised areas such as within ports, on farms, and used by the Defence Forces. Some types of vehicles exempt include:
- a passenger vehicle constructed and equipped to carry not more than nine people, including the driver
- a vehicle whose gross vehicle weight is not more than 3.5 tonnes
- a vehicle with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 40kph
- a vehicle with between 10 and 17 seats (including driver’s seat) used exclusively for the non-commercial carriage of passengers. For example, a minibus owned by a sports club and used only to transport club members to and from sporting events.
Download and read our comprehensive guide to tachograph and drivers’ hours exemptions.Exemptions and derogations from the EU Tachograph and drivers hours rules pdf | 108 KB Drivers, operators and bus and truck owners will be prosecuted if they claim an exemption they’re not entitled to.
How to apply for an exemption
If you believe your vehicle is exempt from tachograph regulations you must declare your exemption by following these steps:
- Download and complete the Tachograph Declaration Form (PDF) or ask your Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness (CVR) testing centre to print a copy of the form which will be pre-populated with your vehicle details
- Bring the signed form to your nearest CVR testing centre where the vehicle needs to be comprehensively checked to ensure it meets the exemption requirements
- Ask the CVR testing centre to stamp the form in the box at the bottom of page two: ‘Stamp of authorised tester’ and then request that they upload the form to the test record on their computer system.
Related documentsExemptions and derogations from the EU Tachograph and drivers hours rules pdf | 108 KB Guide to EU Rules on Drivers Hours pdf | 1932 KB
Digital and analogue tachograph equipment. Vehicles requiring tachographs and vehicles exempt. Vehicle units, data downloading, training and prosecutions.