Skip to Content

Minibus with trailer - D1E


Steps to become a minibus with trailer driver.

This is an overview of the steps you must take to become a qualified driver in your chosen licence category.

To learn to drive a category D1E vehicle in Ireland, you must already hold a full, valid category D1 (minibus) driving licence. You must also prove your identity and your entitlement to a driving licence or learner permit. This means proving that you are at least 21 years of age when applying for a learner permit, that you are normally resident in Ireland, that you have a valid address and personal public services number (PPSN), and that you are medically fit to drive. You should also ensure that your vehicle and trailer are safe, roadworthy, insured, taxed and display L-plates. 

You must have previously passed a category D (bus) or category C and D (bus and truck) theory test before you can apply for a category D1E learner permit. If you got your first category D1 learner permit before the introduction of the theory test on 25 April 2001, you must complete a theory test before applying for a category D1E learner permit. 

Learn more

A learner permit allows you to drive on all public roads, except motorways, for the purposes of learning to drive a minibus with a trailer and only when accompanied by someone who has held a full, valid driving licence in the same category for more than two years.

Learn more

The minibus with trailer driving test checks your knowledge of the Rules of the Road and your ability to drive competently and safely in accordance with those rules and with regard for other road users. The test takes about 100 minutes. It's a combination of questions to test your knowledge and a practical test of your driving skills and awareness. This includes uncoupling and recoupling a trailer as well as reversing from the left or right. 

Learn more

When you pass the minibus with trailer driving test you are issued with a certificate of competency. This is valid for up to two years. You must apply for a category D1E driving licence within that time. This allows you to drive a minibus with a trailer on all public roads, including motorways. If you are still a category B (car and light van) novice driver, you must display N-plates on any vehicle you drive for the first two years. 

Learn more

Passing the minibus with trailer driving test is just one step in becoming a truly safe and competent driver. You should continue to drive carefully and build up your experience in different traffic, weather, lighting and road conditions. The Road Safety Authority offers a range of learning materials that will help you develop your road safety awareness and skills. 

Services MyRoadSafety portal

You can now easily manage all your driver services, tests, permits and licences online on MyRoadSafety.