Irish Road Safety WeekRoad Users 02.10.2022
Irish Road Safety Week (IRSW) will be taking place from Monday 3 October to Sunday 10 October.
We’re looking for your help with this national drive to save lives, so if there are events happening in your community, get involved and help to save lives on our roads.
We also want to hear about what you’re doing to support Irish Road Safety Week in your community, school or workplace, so please send the details to [email protected] and we’ll post them on this page.
We look forward to working with you to help save lives and prevent serious injuries on our roads.
Here’s the list of what’s happening so far:
- The RSA are delighted to announce two separate Instagram competitions to win one of these prizes;
|Cycling Jacket including||Reversible Hoodie including|
|• Drawstring bag||• Drawstring bag|
|• High visibility gilet||• High visibility gilet|
|• Reusable coffee cup||• Reusable coffee cup|
|• High visibility neckerchief||• High visibility neckerchief|
|• Bicycle lights||• Bicycle lights|
The winner will receive one of these packs to ensure our winners are ready for the winter nights. Keep an eye on the RSA social media pages during Irish Road Safety Week for more in the coming week.
- On Monday 03 October, the RSA will host an event promoting the European Road Safety Charter in Ireland and encouraging everyone to sign-up and play their part in Ireland's journey towards Vision Zero.
- Wednesday 5 October is Tyre safety Day. You can download a copy of ‘Your guide to Tyre Safety’ which includes information on buying second-hand tyres. The Irish Tyre Industry Association (ITIA) members around Ireland are inviting all motorists to call in for a FREE tyre pressure check and thread depth inspection during Irish Road Safety Week. A visit to www.itia.ie will lead motorists to their nearest ITIA registered dealer.
- The RSA will be airing its winter ready radio advert throughout the week. As the winter months are approaching its time to make sure your vehicle is maintained ahead of the winter season.
- National ‘Child Safety Day’, previously known as “Beep Beep Day” takes place on Friday 7 October. It is a chance for Pre-schoolers to get involved in road safety. Pre-schools ordered Beep Beep packs on the RSA website and we will be distributing these packs, with over 40,000 high visibility vests to pre-schools nationwide, in time for Child Safety Day.
- In October, the RSA will also be distributing its ‘Back to School’ pack to primary students and the Seatbelt Sheriff and Hi Glo Silver will be making an appearance also.
- The RSA ‘StreetSmart’ brings road safety to life in a fun way for young children aged between 4 and 12 years. For more information or to book StreetSmart, email [email protected]
- Check it Fits, the RSA’s free child car seat checking service will be visiting Cavan and Meath during the Irish Road Safety Week. We will also be promoting RSA’s the Code of Practice for Child Car Seat Retailers. For more details on these and other locations please visit the Check it Fits section of our website here.
- Our National Road Safety Education Service will be delivering road safety education programmes both face-to-face and virtually to crèches, schools, universities, workplaces and communities throughout the week.’ If you would like to have a visit form the service throughout the year please see here.
- The RSA’s Road Safety Interactive Shuttle will be in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo and Roscommon during road safety week. To book our shuttle unit or find out more information, please email [email protected].
- Our ‘Leading Lights in Road Safety Awards’ are back and nominations are now open for 2022! Now in their thirteenth year, the awards will recognise and honour the contribution made by individuals, groups and communities from all over Ireland in reducing serious injuries and deaths on our roads.
This is the first Leading Lights in Road Safety Awards since the launch of the Government Road Safety Strategy 2021 – 2030. Entrants will be recognised for not only making Ireland’s roads safer, but for their contribution to Ireland’s journey toward Vision Zero – zero road deaths and serious injuries by 2050.
In 2022 the media award will be given in honour of former RSA chairperson and esteemed broadcaster, Gay Byrne. So if you know an individual, school, business or organisation who is committed to making our roads safer, why not nominate them now for a Leading Light in Road Safety Award.
- The Donegal Road Safe Road Show returns for the first time since 2019. Almost 3,000 secondary school students, Youth reach learners as well as students from schools in Derry and Strabane will attend. The show will be held in the Aura Leisure, Letterkenny Co. Donegal on 4 and 5 October 2022 with one show on each day.
- Galway County Council have a programme of the following events during Irish Road Safety Week .