The role of the Road Safety Authority (RSA)
Our mission and how we work to achieve it.
Our mission is to make Irish roads safer for everyone. That means working in every way possible to save lives and prevent injuries by helping to reduce the number and severity of collisions on Irish roads.
We are recognised as the leading voice for road safety in Ireland and as a leading voice internationally. This recognition is built upon a strong record of driving positive change in the attitudes and behaviours of all road users, while effectively collaborating with many stakeholders such as An Garda Síochána and the Health and Safety Authority to save lives.
What we do
Our mission of making Irish roads safer for everyone involves delivering some key functions:
- Road safety promotion, education and awareness
- Road safety and collision research
- Primary responsibility as the lead agency for the governance and implementation of the government's Road Safety Strategy
- Driver testing and driver licensing
- Governance and supervision of the National Car Testing Service and Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Testing
- Enforcement of a range of road haulage industry and driver regulations
- Regulation of the driving instruction industry
- Development and monitoring of vehicle standards
- Advising the Department of Transport and the Minister for Transport on all aspects of road safety public policy.
Our corporate plan 2022 - 2025
Our corporate plan sets out the strategic ambitions and objectives of the Road Safety Authority from 2022 to 2025. Its implementation is critical in ensuring the successful delivery of the government’s Road Safety Strategy 2021–2030 and its ambitious target of a 50% reduction in fatalities and serious injuries by 2030.
It outlines our vision, our mission, and our values which are embedded across five strategic themes:
- Customer experience
- Supporting people to drive change
- Innovation in everything we do
- Organisational excellence
- Partnership and collaboration
Who does what
We collaborate with many national agencies and each one has a specific function when it comes to road safety. The following booklet offers a summary of who does what, along with more detailed information on each organisation’s area of responsibility and their contact details.Road Safety in Ireland. Who Does What? pdf | 1986 KB