Closure of driving test application system from Thursday 26 November 2020.  

Our brand new customer portal, MyRoadSafety will go live on Monday 30 November 2020. This will give you access to all of our digital services, including a new and improved driving test booking system.

MyRoadSafety allows you to safely manage your driver information, test bookings, permits and licences from the comfort of your own home.   However, to prepare for this move we‘ll have to close our current driving test application system and ask for your patience while we get things up and running for you. We expect the portal to be available at 2pm on Monday.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the Driver Testing Service

Under Covid19 Level 5 Government restrictions effective from midnight on Wednesday 21 October, for six weeks, you can attend your scheduled driving test appointment provided you are an essential worker involved in the provision of essential services or essential retail outlets. You can view the list of essential services at Level 5 on 

Cancelling your Test

If you are not involved in the provision of essential services or essential retail outlets, please cancel you test appointment here.

Waiting for a Test Date?

We are experiencing a high demand for driving tests at the moment. If you have submitted a driving test application we will be in touch with an appointment date, there is no need to contact us.

Need a test urgently?

If you are an essential worker and require an urgent test in connection with that work, then you can request a test here.  

Abnormal Loads

There is a permit system for the movement of abnormal loads. A new streamlined system for issuing special permits for the movement of long wide loads was introduced in May 2009.

Any operator who wants to transport a vehicle or load that falls outside of the limits allowed by the Road Traffic (Construction Equipment & Use of Vehicles) Regulations 2003, S.I. 5 of 2003  must obtain a permit for its movement

The Guidelines on Maximum Weight and Dimensions of Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (PDF) outline all the weight and dimension limits.

If your load is outside the limits, there are two permit schemes for which you can apply.

1. Permit Scheme administered by An Garda Síochána

An Garda Síochána run a scheme for the movement of vehicles and loads that do not exceed 27.4 metres in length and 4.3 metres in width on designated roads including to Cork, Ringaskiddy and Rosslare ports.

Note that vehicles and loads exceeding our 4.65 metre national height limit are not covered under this scheme and require a Local Authority Permit instead.

The designated road list is often updated with additional routes.  An up to date list will always be available on and the Garda website.

There is no charge for this permit.

To apply for this scheme, fill out the application form.

This scheme is outlined under the

2. Permit Scheme administered by Local Authorities

Local Authorities operate a permit system for all roads, vehicles and loads not covered under the Garda permit scheme

If any of the following are true, you must apply for a permit through the relevant local authorities:

All or part of your journey is not on the routes the Garda scheme covers.  For example, if you are transporting a load from Longford to Westport, you must apply for 2 separate permits: 1) to An Garda Síochána for the part of the journey on the N5 between Longford and Castlebar (a designated road) and 2) to the Local Authorities for the part of the journey from Castlebar to Westport (not a designated road).

  • The weight of the vehicle or load exceeds the limits outlined in SI 5 of 2003.
  • The height of the vehicle or load exceeds the limits outlined in the Road Traffic (Construction and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, SI 366 of 2008.
  • The dimensions of the vehicle or load exceed those allowed under the Garda scheme: 27.4 metres in length or 4.3 metres in width.

To apply for this scheme, you must send an application to the local authority through whose jurisdiction your vehicle or load will travel.

Keep in mind that requirements and charges for this scheme may vary from one local authority to another, so you should contact the relevant local authority before you apply.

This scheme is outlined under the Road Traffic Specialised Permits for Particular Vehicles) Regulations 2007, SI 283 of 2007