5. Stage 2: ADI Driving test
The stage 2 ADI driving test assesses your driving ability. Your driving competence will be assessed against a longer, more comprehensive driving test than that which applies to a learner driver.
In order to take the Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) stage 2 driving test, you must meet a number of requirements.
You must have:
- passed the stage 1 ADI theory test
- a valid, full driving licence that you have held for at least two years in the licence categories for which you want to give driving instruction.
- supply a vehicle for the driving test
- be insured to drive it
- display valid, original motor tax and insurance discs
The vehicle must meet the minimum requirements for the category, be roadworthy and, if applicable, display a valid National Car Testing (NCT) or a Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Test (CVRT) certificate for vehicle and trailer.
The driving test is conducted at the driving test centre you selected on your application form. The test takes between 60 and 100 minutes depending on the licence categories for which you want to give driving instruction. It is a practical and very thorough test of your driving skills, road and safety awareness, and technical knowledge.
When the test is fully completed the ADI examiner will give you the result and offer feedback on your performance. You must pass stage 2 before you can continue to stage 3.
How to book the stage 2 ADI driving test
The ADI driving test forms stage two of a three-stage qualification process.
There are two steps to booking your ADI driving test:
- Step 1: Indicate at which centre you wish to take the test on your Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) Permit application.
- Step 2: Once you have successfully passed your stage 1 ADI theory test, you will receive an email from the Driver Education Section. This email will contain your theory test results together with a form and details for applying for the stage 2 driving test.
The ADI stage 2 test fee is currently €200.00.
Study material for your stage 2 ADI driving test
The RSA has produced an ADI Information Pack to help all ADI candidates know what's needed to become an Approved Driving Instructor. It covers:
- ADI Assessment criteria - ADI stage 2 assessment form as used by your examiner
- The Driving Instructor's Handbook - a professional resource for ADI candidates considering applying to register as a driving instructor
- RSA Approved Driving Instructor information booklet - information for qualified instructors
- driving test information - marking guidelines, preparation, and vehicle standards
- Essential Driver Training (EDT) and Initial Basic Training (IBT) booklets - information on how learner driver and learner motorcyclist training courses work
- the Rules of the Road
Rialacha an Bhóthair (Gaeilge) pdf | 29206 KB
Cancel or reschedule the ADI stage 2 driving test
To cancel or reschedule your stage 2 ADI driving test you must complete and submit this test cancellation webform.
You must give at least 10 working days' notice of a cancellation or rescheduling request. Otherwise you will lose your driving test fee and will have to pay again to sit the driving test.
If you have already cancelled two or more driving tests you will be unable to cancel the test without losing your fee.