Driving test update 


Only essential workers should attend driving test appointments

On the day of your test, you will be asked to confirm that you’re an essential worker. If you are not, the test won’t go ahead. If you are not an essential worker and have an appointment scheduled please cancel your test.


If you are an essential worker and need a test urgently please complete this online form


Book or reschedule a driving test online

You can book or reschedule a driving test online by signing up or logging into our new customer portal MyRoadSafety. Any non-essential workers wishing to book a driving test can join the waiting list and we will contact you when appointments become available.


Covid-19 safety measures

We have introduced new safety measures to the driving test which candidates must follow. Know more


Weather disruptions

Check if your driving test is affected by adverse weather conditions. Tests will be cancelled if conditions are unsafe.

Getting Qualified for CPC


Getting Qualified for CPC

To become a professional bus or truck driver you need to:

  • have a full car licence
  • be over 18 to get truck Driver CPC
  • be over 21 to get bus Driver CPC
  • be medically fit to drive a bus or truck

Who needs Driver CPC

You must have the full Driver CPC if you drive a truck or bus as the main part of your job. If you are stopped by an RSA Transport Officer or An Garda Síochána and you do not have Driver CPC penalties will apply.

You need to pass 4 tests to get Driver CPC, unless you have ‘acquired rights’ because of your existing driving experience

Who doesn’t need the full Driver CPC

You don’t need the full Driver CPC if you drive:

  • for non-commercial purposes, such as driving as an unpaid volunteer
  • for emergency or rescue services such as Gardai, Defence Forces, Ambulance and Irish Prison Service
  • as a registered RSA approved Driving Instructor giving driving instruction
  • during your work, if driving the vehicle is not part of your principal occupation. For example, tradesman using a light truck to transport their materials or a farmer transporting their own animals
  • with a maximum speed not exceeding 45 kmh

You will still need to pass the step 1 (theory test) and step 5 (practical driving test) tests of the qualification.


Next: 1. Theory Test